Experyment with antenna earth elektrode about 600m long

Successful experiment with earth dipole about 150m long encouraged me to experiment with a longer antenna about 600m long. I used industrial earthing on one side and steel beam with ‘C’ cross section immersed in the water on the shore of a small lake served as the other electrode. I used industrial earthing on one side. The antenna consisted of two wires about 150m (symmetric cable) and 600m (PKL) long,

The resistance of the antenna for DC was about 1kΩ.

Continue reading “Experyment with antenna earth elektrode about 600m long”

Decoding a 7-character ebnaut message on 6470Hz

On 3 June 2017 Stefan DK7FC did an 7 hour ebnaut transmission on 6470Hz with 7 characters. Previously i’ve been able to receive 2-3 character massages sent in a similar amount of time, however 7 characters seemed to be unreceivable. This article shows how the message was decoded, and may be useful to people starting to use linux and/or vlfrx-tools.
Continue reading “Decoding a 7-character ebnaut message on 6470Hz”

Earth Electrode Antenna Tests

I conducted my first tests with earth electrode antenna in the nineties with the use of hot water installation. While drilling a well on my piece of land in the countryside I thought this could be just the right moment to explore this idea a bit more. A test drill for 5 meters provided a hole where I put an electrode. However, the soil in the hole was utterly dry and the electrode was not covered with it – it was just a two meters long aluminium L-beam. High resistance of this connection apparently influenced the antenna’s efficiency. A steel beam with ‘L’ cross section immersed in the water on the shore of a small lake served as the other electrode. The distance between the two electrodes was ca. 150 meters.

 

Continue reading “Earth Electrode Antenna Tests”