LF: Re: Beaconing on 8.79 kHz in QRSS

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Beaconing on 8.79 kHz in QRSS
From: Jacek Lipkowski <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:25:54 +0100 (CET)
Sender: [email protected]

I've done some tests on VLF also, like many others on this group.

For antennas i've used a 1.5m x 2.5m 3-turn loop, a 4mx14m 1-turn loop, and coupling to external structures (i won't disscuss this bit here :).

Using the third antenna i can receive my vlf beacon abt 750m from here. The power was abt. 2W from a TDA2030:
http://acid.ch.pw.edu.pl/~sq5bpf/ham/vlf/20100203/vlfcapt3747.jpg

The receiving antenna was a 100turn loop in a hula-hop toy with a dia. of 90cm. This loop was tuned to resonance and amplified.

Using the 4x14m loop and abt. 40w from a TDA1562 i can receive it from 930m:

http://acid.ch.pw.edu.pl/~sq5bpf/ham/vlf/capt0706082213.jpg

The receiving antenna was a 50turn loop in a hula-hop toy with a dia. of 80cm. This loop was connected to the amplifier virtual ground (broadband design like "easyloop").

If i remember correctly i could receive 40W into the 1.5x2.5m 3-turn loop at about 500m.

Unfortunately i haven't had an opportunity to play with e-field antennas, which should be much more efficient. I've noted that for b-field antennas nearby installations (power lines, phone lines etc) can carry the vlf signal far away (hint :)

VY 73

Jacek / SQ5BPF