Re: LF: RADCOM

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RADCOM
From: John Pumford-Green GM4SLV <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:33:11 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: [email protected]
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, Dave Sergeant wrote:

> So enough of the bickering, RadCom has to cater for a wide range of
> interests.

I agree about the "wide range of interests" but, along with seemingly
many here, I find the "wide range of interests" it caters for to be
mundane, simplistic and on the whole non-technical.

This is (meant to be) a technical, experimental, educational,
semi-scientific hobby. RADCOM rarely reflects this.

The many, many pages of adverts, all for the same selection of (mainly
Japanese) electronic trickery-pokery black-boxes indicate just who the
target audience is. Certainly not the sort that pull out their
junk-boxes and knock together a station to activate a band like 500kHz.

Mal called for us to get off the fence and express our thoughts on the
subject. That's my tuppence worth.... now back to the serious business.

BTW does anyone know of something along the lines of a QRO version of
SPRAT? A magazine for tinkerers in the RF arts? I'm not interested in
QRO per-se but a periodical containing articles about more complex,
larger or higher power gear done in the style of SPRAT would make a
great read, don't you think?

Cheers,

John