Re: LF: RADCOM

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RADCOM
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 11:59:24 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=ZpklphLR+82rUhpNSet2OcYyKaMjX9wn7kC3K0l/Rqc=; b=WwfZw7YzqBSBxTaJF4fLF0aAj2BcNcqy1m5X+OJ1aMrV63o2TtqWC9rbujh16SihIU3qPTwGWcVkOMu4NaRLUdQfBm4oUVUUCJpfL/hFWFK4S5V288qT35E8BFiWZAKAQYIcI7QDnwn11aswN8fjaRop8X3P7eriMPzPV7EsjPc=
Sender: [email protected]
OOPS actidently hit send on the earlier post, this is how the previous
posting should have been...

Johan's and John's comments both copied below say it all.

Don't be put off by the need for house styles etc - if you do look at
the articles that have written it in the past, they were all in the
authors' own words with a little editorial help occasionally.  The
peer review is more or less a rubber stamp if the article in
straightforward and constructional - (if, for example, it happened to
be about about zero loss infinitely small magnetic loops that would be
a different matter :-)

As for the need for repeatability, say so.  If you've done a one-off
with components from the junk box it is more than likely to be of
interest still, and that  won't stop the editors / TC;  but be
prepared for a lot of questions, some silly, some sensible,  from
constructors

 I've been following the way this thread has developed with
considerable interest, and am actually rather pleased that the problem
appears to be worldwide.  Now I do know its not a personal Radcomic
thing, but is part of a more general malaise.

So which of these are valid, I wonder :

1)  No one is actually doing anything interesting technically, so
there is nothing to publish.

2)  With the appearance of really advanced commercial kit taht
couldn't be home-made, constructors are losing confidence in their own
abilities, so are afraid to show what they are doing in case others
ridicule it.

3)  No technical articles published = "They don't want to publish
technical stuff" = "Its not much point sending anything in, then"

4)  Technical articles are being written, but placed on personal web
sites and not properly distributed.

1)  1) is clearly rubbish.
2) I know can be a bit worrying, but discussion amongst other
like-minded people soon shows that what appears to be really high tech
IS NOT.  Its just throwing a lot of money and development time at a
simple problem to make it smaller and more GUI-fied
3)  Well ... we see it hapenning.
4)  There's something in this, too.  But it does lead to a very small
select audience, and you don't get paid for it.

They DO WANT TO PUBLISH TECHNICAL ARTICLES (shouting intentionally),
but can't if nothing gets written-up.   Positive feedback is setting
in, and we're going to end up with 'comic content hitting the supply
rails with nothing more than contest results and amateur-radio
celebrities.  Alternativly, it could go unstable - any ideas where
that could lead?

Andy  G4JNT

www.scrbg.org/g4jnt