Re: LF: RADCOM

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: RADCOM
From: "Johan H. Bodin" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 23:01:27 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

I'm sorry Chris, I was a bit angry but I did not intend to upset anyone. Anyway, these ad's are driving me mad... Isn't it possible to at least put them all at the end of the magazine? ;-)

On the other hand, the technical contents in Radcom is still much better than in the swedish "QTC" which only has occasional technical articles and these are usually of the "how to make a wire dipole" class...

To Dave ZL3FJ: Radcom arrived here in SM Friday last week. You may be a victim of high-tech export restrictions! ;-)

73
Johan SM6LKM

Chris Trayner skrev:
Dear Johan,

Thank you for your email.

"Radcomic" is becoming too much of an advertisment
orgy! ... I don't want to pay for these ad's anymore...

Forgive me for pointing it out, but you're not paying for the ads.

Magazines take paid advertising to make money, not to subsidise the
advertisers. They wouldn't be willing to sell the advertising space unless it
paid for the extra pages plus the extra postage plus a bit of profit.

I think you'd find these magazines would be quite a bit more expensive without
the ads.

Some ad's
disguised as "reviews" are sometimes really disturbing: 99% positive comments and then "Thanks to company XYZ for the loan of the plastic gadget..".

This is a more serious point. Magazines with a strong sense of purpose will
print honest reviews; others will only print the good points because they don't
want to alienate their advertisers.

I get the impression that the Peter Hart reviews are fairly independent. Others
are less so: I remember a review of a book that the RSGB markets, which said
that it was superb, wonderful, the best thing since sliced bread. Having read
the book I knew it to be well worth reading despite far too many faults which
the book editors should have eliminated. This sort of uncritical review loses
respect for the magazine.

73,
Chris Trayner G4OKW