Re: LF: Re: 2200m Trans-Atlantic QSO dream...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 2200m Trans-Atlantic QSO dream...
From: N1BUG <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 06:11:40 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
I'm well aware propagation can be good even in mid summer, just as
it is on 160m (where I have 297 DXCC worked so I've been around a
while).

QRN is the "season creator" here. Last year trans-Atlantic WSPR-2
decodes ceased in late March due to rising static. I'm seeing the
same huge increase this March. I don't know what the band actually
sounds like in Europe or what happens later in the spring/summer.
But looking at lightning maps over the past few weeks I can make a
good guess we have significantly higher static levels than you do.

Of course on the plus side we don't have DCF39. :) I rarely see it
mentioned but isn't HGHA22 a nightmare too? It's often stronger than
DCF39 over here. I have my fast, wide waterfall set so I can see
both of them. They do make nice relative propagation indicators.

I did see some evidence that DFCW can cut through the mess later
into the season as I had full call sign copy on DF6NM and DF2JP in
April 2017.

73,
Paul N1BUG