Re: [english 100%] Re: LF: 2200m Trans-Atlantic QSO dream...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [english 100%] Re: LF: 2200m Trans-Atlantic QSO dream...
From: Domenico IZ7SLZ <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 00:17:07 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=fynukdOq8mAIIVnVf+A8mHCMsD0V86UFCsCItF6DSUE=; b=nA7CYWokDYtLsYFsMtswO4vy6ZSslsJqgEjCP3c6WTbNUvWctuzUfvsX99RgLd5Bns Kyd31A4TDEFmVNCKMcq3RxythAaoQ2xesNirrBNHAChux7W/RIiQM0By9fWOfzSgD7A/ /iOURiBkY8rw6ZdnAS8UFKJ+Mp488gO1aLzkB/IUjVzh6EmrRb6tvhNPv1umSduX50z/ f6hbX8Ox7QT7qotyyuKRw12UJqxpsHaX6F1lBriVNytD3DAR7/bHTKXWUppYguvEFItS NzhghPoSXG7QgNwqHsJ64AXS/Wp2YrCXzxo/B6O/MflBeb9E9FL5Xck80ts6Blt63pHh gs4g==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi LF'ers

i suggest to the operators that are looking for any kind of ancient software for a T/A two-way contact, to have a look at
EbNaut.
EbNaut is a bpsk mode with FEC designed by Paul Nicholson for the VLF world.
But two years ago some EbNaut QSO's took place on LF between EU stations using short symbol durations. Signals from VO1NA have been nicely decoded even in Italy and also
a signal from DF6NM and IW4DXW have been decoded at VO1NA (without having a disciplinated oscillator at RX side).

See Paul Nicholson's Log:  http://abelian.org/vlf/amateur-radio/

So, i think that  a two-way QSO is possibile with EbNaut even in this coming Spring.

For starting this FB mode, it is necessary, as first step,  to achieve a good frequency precision with the RTX radios. This, sometime,  can be easly achieved by building some reference oscillators that use cheap GPS solutions.

Here, i've built a 10 MHz reference oscillator with a PLL locked with a 10 kHz coming from a GPS. This 10 MHz  reference signal goes to my RX and to the Exciter. Some 'scrapped' 10 MHz /GPS reference oscillators are on the market and easy to found.

Then you have to deal with different softwares.
For Windows' users, we can use Paul Nicholson's EbNaut-tx and EbNaut-rx together with other necessary programs as SpectrumLab and the DF6NM's tools.
But if you are using Linux (Ubuntu,...) , then  'vlfrx-tools' is the only fb suite needed for managing EbNaut Linux native program.

This mode is not well documented. Some EbNauters already wrote useful instructions. But i think that 'live' assistance on this mail reflector can help more: Questions from who is trying to use EbNaut and the answers from the Group can be more useful.

So i'm at disposal if some operator wants to try this mode.

Some month ago i have built-up a program for  auto-decoding EbNaut transmissions scheduled at certain time and frequencies (see the log on  http://www.qsl.net/i/iz7slz/EBNAUT/DECODED.TXT)

This setup can be again on-line if needed, also with different settings.

Of course, i'm also at disposal to put on air a small EbNaut signal on LF from my locator JN80nu.

I believe that using EbNaut on LF (i.e. dealing with more robust signals than VLF) can be a very good training for acquiring the skill necessary to use EbNaut on VLF.

73, Domenico IZ7SLZ