Re: AW: AW: LF: Influence of a TX antenna to a small rx antenna

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: LF: Influence of a TX antenna to a small rx antenna
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:50:04 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

the problem with "big" antennas for RX is that they overload the receiver and cause IMD effects. Most harmfull is 3rd order IMD and the good thing with an attenuator between antenna and RX is that for every dB attenuation the 3rd order IMD is reduced by 3dB. Therfor you may want to increase attenuation as long as the external noise level is a bit stronger (let's say 3 to 6dB) than the internal (RX) noise level. As long as this is the case the attenuator will not affect the overal RX sensivitity (although you will get little or no s-meter reading), but IMD behaviour will improve by 100dB or more.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Quoting Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>:

Hi Rik!
Tnx for your explanations. So, perhaps my RX SNR could even be increased by more attenuation, that would be fine. I thought the most of us using a separate RX antenna, like the PA0RDT design or a receiving loop. But now it sounds, that some are using the TX ant? Another question: If you say that there has just to be a little difference in the noise between connected and disconnected antenna, I think you mean, that the difference has to be as small as possible? Because, the case that there is a difference, occurs at all attenuation levels from 0 dB to a maximum, say 60db. So 0 dB would also fulfill this statement, of course. But if the difference should be as small as possible, what about the internal noise of the RX system? Is the part of this internal noise in that case not to much relevant? Or in other words, doesn't it decrease the SNR, if the part of the received signal is small compared to the RX-internal noise? I thought, the level of the received signal should be as HIGH as possible, so that the input stage is just not overdriven!?

73, Stefan/DK7FC