Re: AW: LF: Influence of a TX antenna to a small rx antenna

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: AW: LF: Influence of a TX antenna to a small rx antenna
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 15:22:59 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hello Stefan,

there is a easy way to check if you have too much attenuation or not:
Tune the RX to an unused freq (only noise/QRN) and disconnect the antenna; if you can hear the difference between antenna / no antenna then attenuation is not too much. With a 11m high / 25m long lazy-L antenna at a quiet location I could add 40dB attenuation and still hear the noise increasing when connecting the antenna.
I guess with a kite-antenna 50 to 60dB might be a good value.
Of course it all depends also on the RX used, I use a Kenwood TS440 that seems to be sensitive at LF.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T

Quoting Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>:

Hi Rik es tnx for your answer.
In the first QSOs from /p I used the TX antenna. I quickly saw that SNR is much better with a 6dB attenuator. In the last activity I even used 20dB. But the SNR of the small active antenna is definitely better. Perhaps it is a good idea to try even more attenuation, tnx, I will try that! On my QTH at my parents (2003/2004) I also used the TX antenna but it was much smaller. This antenna was more suitable for RX although the actual QTH is apart from any house in a region of some 100s meters...
73, Stefan