Re: AW: LF: Influence of a TX antenna to a small rx antenna

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: AW: LF: Influence of a TX antenna to a small rx antenna
From: ALAN MELIA <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 23:03:34 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=btinternet.com; s=s1024; t=1261955015; bh=YwJ9eKnl4jzBdyRdqKcfcWIGSVKwvdQmTnjMfuTdLjA=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=c1aE+6Y36orSDU9uC3vVcv3jvclKbX/N9E+YWrG+QS2DGJVJf7L6CpDSo/WwVLc4EHanUTmLKM5PXiKaOYck/Ku2JY2k9rkOOQ8l3UOpKmgEXO7E5ye1kPrByHdJrwc1yCIM5SqOLWeM7eD2d3OqRvtZnYsU7VUwajC7HSuSiiI=
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Ken. I dont know but I would think it should be minimal. The "suckout
effect" does seem to be most pronounced with tuned aerials. I likened it to a
GDO effect where a passive tuned circuit absorbs power from an oscillator.
Roelof's mini-whip not being tuned and being a fairly small coupling
capacitance, and so would probably not show the effect. The effect is most
noticable on receiving loops where a tuned T can totally destroy the pattern of
a loop and also injects wideband noise into it. However detuing the "T" removes
the great majority of the problem. I have a dramatic demo of the coupling when
I got a high induced voltage from a nearby lightning srtike which jumped from
the isolated wire end to a earthy point. My indoor tuned loop was "inside" the
inverted "L" profile and the voltage transfered to the 16t loop blew the gate
out of a 2N3819 I use as and impedance converter. I draw the wire out of the
house on nearby storms now !!

Roelof's mini-whip is certainly a very useful addtion to the LF receiving
armoury..... though it is not as simple to use as we might expect.....as shown
by some of the recent messages.

Best Wishes for DX in 2010
Alan G3NYK