Re: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part2
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 18:23:07 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=GRIlMp657mOoQHBrP0y0DjER1BTj4IOcPA7a7xs8ErE=; b=E6gC0BNcpRVqBX4uNPceCL2fnVAtvEkW6UjPAgp2tcFndXD5FgPIf4IW7GPgUI+ZoP 4vgWZ+N4APukLhQJdlP93+hSI/WtO/X1JNfju2bgVlTOkdRNm978mX5NX3aq1NJ9sDc4 EfewztxsCDhqkiM+OzEzNF2UeP9/HiyoCuWikBQQru5C98jSX93o1WOaNoxHbdgZMPJM bTJNKSAt8nivP/XnSNW6pUAQzvXa+p9syJVWSH3LFvRa2RrGdrD+/yvXliS054zYAzG6 inImxp0+GXUO55Ebxv8cloRrGbCrZ/TFBVb9RZ87zC3VEetuG7bSJzrbMhie9ZjB3oz4 L4Mg==
Sender: [email protected]
Has anyone tried locking an external USB soundcard to GPS?  Chips such as the PCM290x family use their own 12MHz crystal, and it's relatively straightforward to provide 12MHz locked to some master reference like GPS to drive this.

So, in theory, the 48000 and lower sampling rates will then be spot-on.  However, I fear there may be slippages in the USB interface as the 12MHz external clock, and the USB's 6MHz clock slip past each other, resulting is lost packets and corrupted data samples

I do use a homebrew PCM2900 soundcard for data comms work, but never tried locking it.  Instead, for LF work I instead use the external digitiser, sending data to the PC on a RS422 interface; as described in the link sent earlier. The PIC digitiser, working on a 1kHz tone, can be used with any suitable receiver

Andy  G4JNT