Re: LF: Simultaneous decoding of WSPR on LF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Simultaneous decoding of WSPR on LF
From: Andy Talbot <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 18:08:57 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=UMApwShS1xHZeZ0/VxX3YnxqhlziXUQ5XMxri4hjIw8=; b=e0QA5Srjvl6yrdhP9eZSAdD9xwZ8ALAtmkia0rCvVRXzwC/3bVoIq0Sc163rtgUu+Q g9pCnM9UWDiWwLbQJu04OQZVw/V48nANJDTzWefrnoU7XdlMLmyM7T9hydd1lwGmwC7c OxO3hfCPT7J7BInJ4XZn7EF9x3O/vR1TJvFFK06N9Yxtx1EVhkJqaru5otTCJlTreIcW 8I7j+0sXqUEv/Sq5diembEdFgVefJfi+9ZwETS94WvXFXWhHqu9uXX8My3lFVWJ9VDLw XuHK+1RWsdSaywwD50CaeEFoBmAVbwQkXil1myY2EqvJ37RfYqmu6C5VtR2B/o8ET0OT cW4A==
Sender: [email protected]
WSPR, as in all the WSJT modes captures the signal synchronously;  an entire block at soundcard sample rate, so isn't affected by IRQs and the like.  In effect, all decoding is done off line, in teh few seconds after teh transmission ends..

Decode failures are most serious when due to sampling rate errors. which is nowadays not much of a problem with WSJT-X adopting the standard 48kHz Fs.  But was a problem with the old WSJT trying to get to 11025 with modern sound cards.

The block decoding uses the sampling rate to define symbol timing, so at the end of a 48 second block, even 0.5% error in sampling rate leads to symbol misalignment at the end.

The other error mechanism, is just timing itself.  The block capture should start on the minute interval, as should teh transmission.  The decoder can handle slippages here of a few seconds either way, but not more than about 3 or 4s IIRC.

Andy 'jnt