Re: LF: WSJTX 01r2702 JT9

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: WSJTX 01r2702 JT9
From: Joe Taylor <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:57:13 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

G3XBM wrote:
Running the new version I had the program crash out after about 3 minutes.
I had sent one cycle of JT9-2 (CQ G3XBM) on 500kHz and was receiving in the
next slot only to have the whole window close. Tried it a second time and
had the same issue again.

Comments like "the program crashed" are not very helpful by themselves. (Needless to say, the program has not crashed for me, or I would not have release it.)

Please do what you can to establish a reproducible method leading to the bug you have found. Explain what the program was doing, just before it died. Ideally, run the program from a command-prompt window and report any error message left behind.

Now, a few last comments before I go QRT. Please note: I may be QRT for some days, owing to the very big storm just now arriving.

1. Does anyone besides Eddie see "ghost signals" in the sequence following reception of a stropng signal? If so, please document what you see and save example *.wav files.

2. Re suggestion by Andy, G4JNT: It seems to me that the MF/LF group needs something like "LiveCQ", a utility used by EME people on 144 MHz. See http://www.livecq.eu/ . LiveCQ uses output from my program MAP65, similar to that also provided by WSJT-X in file wsjtx_rx.log. The LiveCQ program monitors the file and reports decodes of CQ messages to the Live CQ web site, where they are displayed.

3. It seems to me that the MF/LF group could also use a "chat page" dedicated to bands below 160m. It's much more efficient than lots of emails saying things like "I copy you now", etc. Something like
http://www.chris.org/cgi-bin/jt65emeA for EME, or perhaps
http://www.on4kst.org/chat/login.php?band=4 for "Low Bands". However, the ON4KST low band page is too full of 1.8 and 3.5 MHz traffic. Maybe ON4KST could be persuaded to make one more page, for 500 kHz and down.

The storm here is rather frightening, already, and the worst is yet to come. We in central New Jersey are near the center of the expected path. Here's hoping for the best!

The good news: if we're still here and still EME-capable on Friday, all leaves should be off the trees and I should be several dB better off for weekend #2 of the ARRL EME contest. :-)

        -- 73, Joe, K1JT