LF: JT9 vs.WSPR

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: JT9 vs.WSPR
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:30:59 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

The question in my mind is the degree to which beacon-like features should be mixed with a mode designed for making QSOs. If beaconing behavior is desired, why not use WSPR? If it's important to have, say, 10 dB better sensitivity than WSPR, then maybe a "slow WSPR" mode should be developed and used, rather than JT9.

-- 73, Joe, K1JT

<2 cents>

Joe ... agree with your assessment that JT9 should be kept as a QSO mode program and not a combination QSO / beacon mode program. The two sets of requirements are significantly different and trying to make a combination program may end up being a compromise. WSPR does such a good job for beacon mode and the database works so well it may make more sense to develop that further. A number of us have been testing 'slow' WSPR modes (thanks to the work of Marcus and Wolf) and the results have been impressive ... although the 'proof of concept' arrangement using additional software is rather 'clunky'. If it were possible to modify WSPR for several slower speeds, equal the performance of WSJT-X JT9 and continue to use the WSPR database that sounds like a good plan. It would really be something if WSPR could decode stations running different speeds simultaneously ... and indicate in the decoded information / database which mode was decoded ... but that may be too much to ask.

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2

</2 cents>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joe Taylor" <[email protected]>