Re: VLF: EbNaut transmissions on lower frequencies?, pre-tests: 6.47kHz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: EbNaut transmissions on lower frequencies?, pre-tests: 6.47kHz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2016 21:06:46 +0100
References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <117DEE4AF4DD44F59CB 455664AD7695B@gnat> <[email protected]> <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Thanks Paul, most interesting again.

Good to know now that the normalisation helps a lot.
It was interesting to see that adding the not normalised signal of the 15th reduced the SNR by 0.1 dB whereas it rose the SNR by 0.2 dB when beeing normalised.

Also it is very interesting to see the night phase. The day phase is so stable at about -137.5 deg. an there were easy decodes of each message whereas the night transmission failed to decode. I can imagine that the phase will vary much more from day to day. Maybe we will get a decode when combining two nights... It would be interesting to see the results from the night transmissions in Italy (Renato), with 2 or 3 nights combined. Maybe the night transmissions could have an advantage over certain paths? A few more things to try out.

But things are quite clear now it seems, at least on this path of 882 km. In the past we tried to decode longer messages by using longer symbol rates but this only increased the transmission time and made things (phase variations) even worse or at least more critical. With the new technique i have no doubt that even a 100 character message can be passed between us. That will happen next week.

Am 16.11.2016 19:48, schrieb Paul Nicholson:
> Later I'll fire up LWPC and plot some examples of long
> distance paths.

For 1uW ERP, DK7FC to Todmorden

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/1479317903_9356.png

Daytime signal -34dBuV/m corresponds to about 0.03 fT

I'm not 100% sure that i fully understand what the plot shows. Is it a propagation model for our path and frequency? Does it show that my idea of TXing from 8:00...15:44 UTC each day was just the perfect choice?

DK7FC to vlf35 Virginia

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/1479318501_18872.png

-54dBuV/m, about 20dB weaker than Todmorden reception,
would need 100 days summation to build up the same
signal.
That means a night transmission would be the better choice for that path?!? ...because we have 7 hours of a stable path and stronger amplitudes. But that seems to be a rough (simple) model because the curves are quite flat. Anyway, it is interesting and we can check the model by our own experiments.

100 days. Hmm, but the Eb/N0 on your side is about 3 dB above the decode threshold, so 50 days could be fine as well! And this is not even 2 months!!! :-)
And it would be well worth to try something in 2000...3000 km.

DK7FC to Tasmania:

 http://abelian.org/vlf/tmp/1479318832_10010.png

A crazy looking diurnal. At -145dBuV/m, even a century
of summing wouldn't come anywhere close to this.
Now you know why i'm not a friend of simulations ;-)
...but how does it look for 8.27 kHz?

73, Stefan