Re: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part2

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Idiot's guide to receiving Ebnaut? - Tutorial part2
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2016 21:21:31 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim,

Am 25.10.2016 20:12, schrieb [email protected]:

Would the GPS units that you mentioned below suffice for the 50uHz bandwidths that could be useful for TA attempts?

Yes they will. For example, i generated this spectrum peak (attachment) in a 4.1 uHz FFT bin width with SpecLab and my remote stream from the tree. The signal was generated locally with SpecLab and another GPS module. Look at the sharpness and frequency resolution.
The distance is 3.5 km but real equipment was used.

But the Trimble units have also been quite a burden for these applications because of the power requirements, including a battery and inverter/converter for the Trimble that is awkward and noisy (EMI) for these portable weak-signal experiments.
Oh, this sounds complex. And it sounds like the power consumption is much higher than 3.3V*45mA = 150 mW. My module is running 24/7 on the solar powered tree. It slowly becomes challenging there, see http://www.iup.uni-heidelberg.de/schaefer_vlf/DK7FC_remote_Grabber_tech.html so power consumption is an issue.

  The 60-meter square TX loop is in a remote area far from any buildings or climate control so I may still try to use Trimble units there
My tree too! :-)
On the tree: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/20160409_170603.jpg
For portable recordings: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/20160730_165911.jpg or https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19882028/ULF/VLFesULF%20portable%20recording.jpg

The links that you provided did not have US delivery but I found this (HiLetgo New GY-NEO6MV2 Flight Control GPS Module With EEPROM MWC APM2.5 Antenna):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I1JDCJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks very similar (almost identical) to the unit that you are using, so I ordered some.

Some, that's right! :-) Yes, these are the ones. And the price is quasi the same.

Good luck with your tests!

73, Stefan