RE: RE: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: slow WSPR?

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: RE: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: slow WSPR?
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:05:42 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-US
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Sabine,

as mentioned in the report the test were done off-air, by adding equal amounts
of pure white noise to WSPR / Opera signals of identical amplitude.
So no QRM/QRN or QSB involved. Maybe I will do these tests over with QRN and/or
QSB added (if there is some interest and if time permits).
In these tests WSPR performed 7dB better than Opera2. 3dB can be explained by
the fact that WSPR is a 100% duty cycle mode while for Opera it is only 50% (or
said otherwise: WSPR = FM and Opera = AM). The remaining 4dB could be due to
different coding /decoding algoritms. WSPR coding and protocol is public source
(http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSPR_2.0_User.pdf), for Opera it is
"cracked" by PE1NNZ (http://rn3aus.narod.ru/opera_protocol.pdf).

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T