RE: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: slow WSPR?

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: [rsgb_lf_group] Re: LF: slow WSPR?
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 06:55:08 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-US
Cc: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Marcus, Stefan, All,

Some kind of "WSPR8" (8 minutes wspr sequence) could indeed be tested by generating  the WSPR8 signal (what is easy as WSPR is fully documented) and accelerate the recorded signal 4 times before feeding it into the WSPR software. But this method requires to reduce the WSPR8 bandwidth (frequency spacing between the tones) also by a factor of 4, from 6Hz to 1.5Hz.

If you look at WSPR as an FM signal, the WSPR8 signal created that way will have the same modulation index as the original WSPR(2) signal, while a WSPR8 signal at the "old" 6Hz bandwidth would have a 4 times larger modulation index. And the modulation index affects the SNR. Thus the suggested method might not fully exploit the possibilities of WSPR8 (at unchanged bandwidth).

BTW: the results of the SNR performance test are still available at http://on7yd.strobbe.eu/QRSS/.

73, Rik  ON7YD