Re: LF: Re: NDBs & WRC-12 LF band allocation

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: NDBs & WRC-12 LF band allocation
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 16:41:00 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Pete
This proposal is common sense, considering the Primary users are all CW navigational safety BEACONS and surely OFCOM and the RSGB know this. If they arrived at any other decision it would be unwise. It is also prudent to keep the NDB network alive in the event that the GPS system is Zapped. In fact the DECCA system probably should have been retained as a standby.
There are still some MF/HF ssb frequencies in use and this is also a good idea in the event that INMAR sat and associated marine satellites fail or get zapped.
Modern technology has produced some fantastic TOYS and SYSTEMS but FRAGILE and vunerable to cyber attacks, emp's and in the hands of third parties where the user has no control.
On the other hand a couple of Radio Operators with simple CW transmitters and receivers are totally in control of a communications link and multiply this throughout the country and you have a complete communications network with multiple independent alternative links.
This is the way it used to be and as they say HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF.
Maybe Valve/Tube technology ought to be revisited as well if we want robust devices. Modern chips only need a trace of electrostatic discharge when you comb your hair of walk on a nylon carpet to get zapped or a rain storm destroys your RX front end !!
I understand some countries still use TUBES for radio communication equipment not because they lack so called  modern technology but because they are playing safe when it comes to reliability and robustness.

g3kev