Re: LF: Re: NDBs & WRC-12 LF band allocation

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: NDBs & WRC-12 LF band allocation
From: M0FMT <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:04:47 +0000 (GMT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1330423487; bh=t/OszZJx7EVY2DcwVDml71tBV4Kiz6Or3adZE2Q5ZTM=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=vyZ6Dtkk0Otv31y6r2aR16WI5BuzmY4cqHK/VWDC1IlQS+33n3XXYfWBF0VO7xJZSbz0T9o6qyBiy97XynUNFoMu2wrjlhMtRSf84RmVJk3COsAKiH/DKrivUHXLAQMD0EbTUJ5zaW3EVoioxQAA9k5NHy5KQcQBAmMDlzv99Gg=
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Jim and group

Non flyer's seem to think an air pilot just uses instruments to the exclusion of all other senses. I have done flight training on light aircraft, gliders and mixed with professional flyer's in previous jobs. They are a very conservative bunch and very sceptical about what their instruments tell them. Mark one eye ball being the best instrument. When learning there is a strong tendency to concentrate on the instrument panel but the call from the instructor is always for "eyes out of the cabin". It is not the case that an air pilot will follow to his death an erroneous signal. All instruments give more than one clue as to what is going on. Radio instruments are used with a great deal of circumspection and will be crossed checked against visual sightings, dead reckoning and ground radar assistance. It is never the case that just one instrument will be relied upon. At altitude many signals can be heard from great distances and propagation conditions too can enhance signals to levels so that they can block local signals. Air pilots are fully aware of this and also they are aware of secondary users on "Their" radio channels (viz; CIT is right in the middle of the MW BC band). There are a lot of flying "ears" listening to all the beacons as part of their daily work as a pilot and anything new is soon passed on by air to air contact and ground air traffic. The NOTAM system will inform all (and I mean all) air pilots of the changes and explain what is going on.
If you have not done flight training it is worth it just to learn what a sceptical bunch flyer's are when it comes to instruments. The older the pilot the more sceptical they are because they have seen so much and been let down by instrumentation.
So I can not support the notion that we will see terrible accidents occurring because Mal is rattling along at 25wpm to Chris adjacent to an aviation beacon, it just won't happen.

73 es GL Pete M0FMT IO91UX