Re: LF: Keyboard Modes for 600 Meters

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Keyboard Modes for 600 Meters
From: John Andrews <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 15:03:59 -0400
Sender: [email protected]

Dear ++ (Graham), <g>

I think that Olivia uses sequential FSK, not simultaneous tones. I don't believe that Jay and I evaluated any simultaneous systems. We did use linear PA's during the tests, but that was more for convenience in switching back and forth between PSK and FSK systems. The claim is generally made that the various FSK modes do not require amplitude linearity. It would make an interesting experiment to compare bandwidths and perhaps audible keying artifacts between linear and switching amps while driving the fairly high Q antennas we use at LF and MF. I'm always amazed at how click-free the hard-keyed CW signals are down here.

John A.

Graham wrote:
Interesting list of modes and tests ,