Re: LF: LF Receiver

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF Receiver
From: Alberto di Bene <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 18:08:47 +0100
Sender: [email protected]
Z-usanet-msgid: XID651maPRiv0106X39

lawrence mayhead <[email protected]> wrote:

    So that leaves SDR receivers like the Perseus, thanks Johan, but
    these are digital, can the AGC be turned off?

In a SDR receiver, the possibility to turn OFF the AGC is a software function, so, in case it is not implemented, just ask the author of the program...

    and another problem if
my computer sound card is tied up processing I/Q signals can it also do the FFT analysis ? at the same time. Perhaps Andy can help?

This is a common misconception... the sound card in a SDR receiver does NOT do any processing, nor FFT computations... they are all made by the central CPU, be it a Pentium or an Athlon.... the ONLY function of the sound card is to digitize the input signal (at least in the Tayloe mixer type of SDR) and to playback the demodulated audio.
So the only very important characteristic of a sound card is the quality of its
ADC converter.

73  Alberto  I2PHD