Re: LF: LF Receiver

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF Receiver
From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:27:41 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=FpBc9P8MATtucVVeUl+naXusNgYqUirkc0wLRI9zOL0=; b=bXD9TUCft7ovnQMuOa7BYBPsS1qDXN0MIMwtuLyA5hTxtpXUxAKMfNAMM2rUZmmBovMou3gG3yBkO0XmefEgg97Gr1TKoZq04TbxqsM+0BNr0ZsOxCjuPZyMvESTdmghMWlmxrV0giG+ajZiLW+otpLMDA0zz/8PDiSjGuQXiKo=
Sender: [email protected]
If you have the sort of SDR that uses I/Q drive to the soundcard, then it can be tedious passing the recovered audio out to other software.  It can be done using a utility called Virtual Audio Cable (VAC)  which effectively creates an audio patch panel using digital buffers.  VAC sets up additional virtual soundcards which you then route audio in and out of.

However, its probably easier to just get a second sound card, such as an external USB one, and cross couple the audio.  They are quite cheap now.   A USB headset can make a great second or third soundcard as well if you want a voice input/output for driving SDR transceivers (see the Radcom Data column this month - judging by the huge hit my website took yesterday, it looks as if its just out)

The same comments apply to receivers like the SDR-IQ which digitise the whole 30MHz spectrum, but then use the soundcard to deliver demodulated audio.  VAC comes into its own here, as well.

Some datamode software can be persuaded to operate in parallel with other packages, but it can be a bit hit or miss as to which software allows such operation, and which blocks one process from working properly.

Incidently, I was monitoring the 500kHz band using my SDR-IQ one other night when there was quite a lot of activity around.  With the maximum 256K FFT size, I was seeing all the QRSS and CW signals present, plus things either side of the Am band, in over 10kHz of bandwidth, simultaneously, at sub Hz resolution.  The supplied Spectravue software is a really good waterfall / spectrum analysis / Rx driver package, and doesn't use the soundcard at all.

Andy  G4JNT