Re: LF: LF Receiver

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF Receiver
From: Peter March <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:04:38 +0000 (GMT)
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Laurie
It is great to see a technical discussion on the reflector. It?s much better than using the reflector as purely the return path of a one way VLF qso!
I have been using a Tony Parks? KB9YIG Soft Rock SDR RX (about £20 kit from WS) for some time now.  I use the excellent free SDR application software from Duncan Munro M0KGK 1.1 with Cesco?s  HB9TLK.DLL (Loop.DLL) VAC (Virtual Audio Cable) software link to Patrick Lindecker F6CTE?s Multpsk 4.2 decoder software.  Soft Rock does use the IQ sound card input but this way only the one card is needed. The results are incredible for such a small out lay. I think this setup outperforms most conventional RX in terms of selectivity and ease of use over a limited spectrum, 48kHz using built in soundcards and 96kHz using a high quality int /ext  Soundcard. 136 and 500 kHz bands are only about 3 kHz wide so it gives ample coverage of the EU and US beacon frequencies as well. Please also note that Jim Moritz M0BMU has done an excellent mod to the current Soft rock 6.2 kit that gives these two bands as they are not standard in the Soft rock kit range.
Good luck,  it?s been great following the various replies I hope you go for the Soldering Iron and software option.
Many thanks to all the Radio Amateurs listed above for making their fantastic work available to us. This great body of work makes my hobby so interesting at a ridiculously low cost.
Vy 73 to all HNY de petefmt

lawrence mayhead <[email protected]> wrote:
Many thanks to those who responded to my mail on the subject of receivers for LF/QRSS.
and my problems with my 1792.
Paul Hendrik for the URL re circuits Tracey Gardner for the e'bay lead, and Warren for suggestions
re alternative Rx's.
The lack of AGC OFF on DSP receivers is a worrying trend as Andy says.
So I have been looking around!
I have flirted with the possibility of  the Harris 590 or the Collins 2050, both have excellent specs and are non DSP, they look good,but do I want to take on another servicability problem, and they are not cheap.
The Ten Tec RX340 also excellent spec. but its DSP and no AGC off.
The AOR 7030 is non DSP and the spec is good but operationally it is very daunting,and it won't tune in 1Hz steps and it BFO offset has only 33 steps. I am concerned about setting it up for ARGO etc.Any comments Alan? also I guess its coming to the end of its production.
So that leaves SDR receivers like the Perseus, thanks Johan, but these are digital, can the AGC be turned off? and another problem if my computer sound card is tied up  processing  I/Q signals can it  also  do the FFT analysis ? at the same time. Perhaps Andy can help?
So I am still looking
73 Laurie.

Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.