LF: Re: LF Receiver

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: LF Receiver
From: "Jay Rusgrove" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 09:45:46 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Laurie

I've been using the RF-590 for 8 years now as my primary LF/MF receiver with
no problems or complaints. The 1 dB compression and 3rd distortion is on par
with other 'premium' military grade receivers and phase noise rates up there
with the best of the lot. The only negative I've found with this receiver is
filter 'blow by' on extremely strong signals. It's no worse than other
receivers of this type and is caused by limited stop band attenuation of the
mechanical filters. The fix would be to use a tandem set of filters or,
better yet, put a second set of filters just ahead of the detectors. This is
what I've done on homebrew 'contest grade' receivers. But then again...I'm
not using the RF590 for contest work and it has served me well on LF/MF. I
use a GPS referenced 10 MHz standard into the external reference -frequency
accuracy is deadly. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jay W1VD  WD2XNS  WE2XGR/2