Re: LF: Trans Atlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Trans Atlantic
From: [email protected]
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 03:06:30 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mitch,

    I'm very encouraged that you had copy over a 24 hour period!
The FCC Part 5 rules basically allow anything that you can justify, the default condition is that you can communicate only with other Part 5 stations. I think that some other Part 5 applicants took that to mean that the FCC takes a dim view of communicating with other services, and they didn't ask for communication with non-Part 5 stations. As John Andrews pointed out, I requested and was granted the privelege of communicating with foreign amateur radio service stations.
    When I originally applied for the license, I specifically had you and VO1NA in mind, as I thought that the trans-Atlantic distances may be beyond my ability. It turns out that I've copied across the pond numerous times in the past 6 weeks or so, even with fairly modest power (250 watts). Now I'm trying to get a kW + output power online to make the copy easier across the waters.
    One other detail, at the moment I generate QRSS with a pre-programmed chip (K-ID by K1EL). I would have to hook up a computer to be able to generate messages on the fly for a QSO.
   Let me know if you are still interested in a QSO, if so, I'll get everything together on my end to make it happen!
73 Warren K2ORS/WD2XGJ

 Since the FCC has not allocated 136 for the amateur service, the question is would the sponsoring organizations recognize an experimental Part 5 U.S. station contacting a European amateur station as a valid contact?

Hi Warren
I would like to know whether there have been changes in your licensing
permit. I had been prepared for lots of QSOs on 137, having "beaconed" there
for the past several years. However - I have temporarily pulled the switch after
hearing it would be impossible - ie. you could only QSO with similarly licensed
U.S. stations.   The Cdn permit allows QSOs, so it was disappointing to hear
that information.

By the way, copied you 24 hours straight here in London this week.... let ARGO
"capture" you and John and XDW / XFX for the 24 hour period - interesting
day-night propagation !

73 and Happy Christmas

Mitch  VE3OT