Re: LF: LF and VLF EbNaut

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF and VLF EbNaut
From: Rob Renoud <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:29:00 -0500
Sender: [email protected]
Paul, Chris and EbNaut LF,

Stefan makes a good argument for trying what you have for TX.   The HP-3325A specs show a frequency accuracy of +- 5 EE-8 and stability (option 001) of +- 5 EE-6.  The HP-3325A should work ok on 2200m with a message duration of 28 minutes or less.

The 180 phase reversal is easily implemented using a DPDT relay with a 1:1 transformer connected between the 3325 generator and the amp input.  Drive the relay with the RS-232 RTS or CTS signal from the computer running ebnaut-tx.exe found on http://abelian.org/ebnaut/ such that the relay shifts the phasing of the input to the transformer.

Time and frequency are important on the decoding end.  Try to get them as accurate as possible on the TX end.

For 2200m a good starting message format is:

Code:  8K19A
Symbol Period:  3
CRC: 16
Characters: 5
Duration:  25:36.00
Repeat on the hour and half-hour

Announce your beacon and give it a try.  Lot’s of LF EbNaut listeners to let you know if it’s working out...

Comments and other suggestions are welcome.

73,
Rob - K3RWR