Re: LF: LF and VLF EbNaut

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: LF and VLF EbNaut
From: Domenico IZ7SLZ <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2018 19:21:53 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20161025; h=mime-version:references:in-reply-to:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=NN2IQ1GmTSltJ8gZPjY4WMrlZTdRLzI24TK+lxyQHJY=; b=Zpr0iQotd5r+qXNEuBHeZZVn0CdYif78x5J4dDap9Wn8mJrrdg+xPxqoGGpU1gzbg3 3u0AH1NjdeYdGIHpFoZ53ZcC9NHpYzBy6Dm+Um/TU84+ebTh3Yh85HapiYQDaQOhqwev a1PrLSfqGWYZeDeMsb9j4XVY8HBWO8wk5gRgJ7A3xsJWDUUv6kXmCmNDOggOYsnnrx8O K9Q4DRE/6rNKyLcdumWK8ZH+p2WSPrMctRqbIx15wWvB9TEGNtgS2qyWvqALRs6NtEKn fIpxYIyMWPC5jFJh1m2Hufk0Vz+WBpYpVg5n1gqrFd/eDY6EEXxOQTgTc41rAuKsUMI+ JObg==
Sender: [email protected]
LF,

EbNaut decodes of both NA stations of last two days in JN80nu (Apulia - South Italy)  are listed on the log:

Traces of VO1NA's signal are visibile also on the opds waterfall:

Thanks to Joe and Rob for putting on air a very good signal, and i hope that some other operators have tryed to receive and decode the signal.

Receiving setup is really not too complicated and i invited all LF operators to try the reception.  Here some informations on the hardware and software setup used at iz7slz:

- a whip antenna (ex Furuno Navtex preampl. model NX-500) feeds both JRC NRD-92 receivers (i call them 'twins') using an antenna splitter. One receiver is for LF, the other works on MF;
- a GPS referenced oscillator (EPSILON CLOCK) gives 10 MHz to both receivers,
- a second U-Blox Neo8 GPS gives precise UTC time reference to the Ubuntu PC and also 1pps signal to the sound card of the same pc
- The following great vlfrx-tools (thanks Paul Nicholson !)  are used on this ubuntu pc
           'vtcard' manages the sound card
           'vttime' does the samplerate calibration and timestamp of the samples
           'vtwrite' records on the storage hard disk the audio captured from the two receivers;
- the linux programs used to syncronize the PC clock with UTC are 'gpsd' and  'chronyc'. The Neo8 GPS is connected at pc serial COM1;

- The bash program 'autodecoder' uses 'vtread' to bring from the storage the raw data and attempts the decode using 'ebnaut' linux version.
  The excellent noise blanker 'vtblank' is used in auto-decoder program. Without this NB almost 90% of the decodes would be lost.

I have uploaded a folder with some pictures of the hardware setup. There is also latest version of 'autoebnaut' linux bash program :

Any helps, suggestions and comments on this program are welcome.

I'm at disposal for any assistance, hoping to increase numbers of receivers also on the other side of the pond.

73, Domenico IZ7SLZ