Re: LF: Insulating a Versatower from ground

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Insulating a Versatower from ground
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 13:59:19 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-GB, en-US
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Chris,

I guess it will be more or less the same.
The setup as in the right picture has the loading coil at ground level, easy to
tune.
Placing the coil at the top of the tower (picture at the left) will require a
slightly larger coil, as the vertical wire capacitance will not count. It migh
be also inconvenient for tuning.
On the other hand a elevated loading can improve the antenna, in particular if
you have a lot of greenery (bushes, trees) close to the antenna. I had very
good experience with an elevated loading coil on 137 kHz, keeping a smaal part
at ground level to ease tuning (see
http://www.strobbe.eu/on7yd/136ant/indtop.htm).

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T