RE: LF: NA VLF

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: NA VLF
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2017 13:55:05 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20161114; t=1494352511; bh=vBT8YbsxCRQmbpZRNmky2/QuVIiQdjbBiSOCtRs5Vg0=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=E+NWHkhQDGHLb3REm0leYucmUdssGxNqSXLXRA48Rg6gKfTXlKMXFwTyhQyqGk2VZ tft1gWOIAY98K6ZRXos2617vdngfRFoOZW0tSVx7D/WRxbnK4bupZMPu8meDxwLVfk CuE9T/4hm5LIJDFUvF6+17tGqE9P4Gk+6tsIfcdlYsZzKRtQ3W1ZJzw3RinCU+zJZ/ 4E2c1irCK4g3SEuafR0SC5SV4AANgbbs8mZ/SXH5RrVTXyYZBdg0aburk7SyhI8oHA Fff3FXm9kfCr5r1Q40QxCkw+E5ZnbGvCgj4t58ivqKq12Nu88WwM1OdlTS0IICKoo9 j7/NtEZx1OGOw==
Sender: [email protected]
Paul,

Thanks for very good AoA validation of Joe's signal.

Not sure if Joe's antenna is pure vertical and remain intrigued by VLF AoA
error with VLF TX antennas that have non-vertical E components due to (a)
non-vertical slope of TX antenna or (b) infrastructure near TX antenna (or RX
antenna).

I noticed that you used phase with Watson-Watt, and wondered if you used phase
as in attached .png file [which presumes crossed loops and a second antenna
(omni) for blanking to implement unambiguous Watson-Watt solution]; or if you
used phase as part of the time dependent complex amplitude signal of a center
antenna for a four-element (e.g. Adcock) array.  [asking because I'm very
unfamiliar with Watson-Watt particulars and have not seen a Watson-Watt
reference to a phase term used with a single (2-element) crossed loop except in
the above/attached context which presumes an omni (2nd antenna, in addition to
crossed loops) for blanking]

The following describes in agonizingly long form why the above question (how
phase is used in your Watson-Watt calculation of the bearing of Joe's signal)
is related to my interest in Stefan's experiments at 970 Hz and 2970 Hz:
In recent spare time I measured VLF phase from distant sources with a rotating
single-axis air-core VLF loop in various proximities to various familiar
infrastructure elements including large/small metal items, vehicles, water,
buried utility conductors, and buildings (interior and exterior), and phase
effects of loop rotation have been small except with unusually close proximity,
and still well-behaved albeit larger phase variation with loop rotation in
unusually close proximity to large/long conductors (for example, vehicles or
very long conductors). These results are (directly or indirectly) not
consistent with reports of large AoA errors with (in some cases)
amplitude-based and (in other cases) phase-sensitive VLF AoA measurements
(including Tkalcevic "...1400 km distant" and Horner "Accuracy of Location of
Sources..."). Tkalcevic makes an interesting case for AoA error given
horizontal components from the VLF TX, and some AoA elevation-angle sensitivity
at the RX is indirectly implied in Tkalcevic and corroborated in a different
context in Horner; but some other examples which include sensitivity of phase
to small changes in loop orientation or loop position leave me wondering about
the RX antenna cables etc. in those high-sensitivity cases, because I haven't
observed much phase sensitivity to small changes in position or orientation of
a single-axis air-core loop.

Much of my interest in the phase aspect of your Watson-Watt AoA measurement of
Joe's signal is related to Stefan's 970 Hz and 2970 Hz experiments, wherein the
high elevation angles of experiments at sub-wavelength distances, and a modal
particularity at 2970 Hz,  may exacerbate the effects (on AoA and
near-threshold amplitude) of any horizontal components from the TX antenna. So,
given the good AoA result with your phase-included Watson-Watt calculation of
the bearing of Joe's signal, any basic description (a few words) on how you
used phase would be helpful and appreciated, as it might enlighten potential
phase considerations in Stefan's 970 Hz and 2970 experiments (and AoA in the
6.95 KHz and 8.27 kHz experiments).

Thanks!

Jim AA5BW