Re: VLF: tonite on the 36km band...

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: VLF: tonite on the 36km band...
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2017 19:09:41 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Am 06.05.2017 18:17, schrieb Paul Nicholson:

These seem to be typical, where the decode goes astray for
several characters, then comes back.  It seems to involve
runs of about 3 to 5 constraint lengths (eg 4 * 19 = 76 bits =
~13 chars).  Such a run contains 3 to 5 bits of redundancy in
the source encoding (0.3 bits per char) which the list decoder
makes use of.  Putting in a small CRC allows the list decoder
to discard these 'diversions'.   False decodes aren't much
of a problem because usually the real decode comes in with a
higher path metric and trumps the false ones but sometimes a
false decode wins.  A small CRC will kill these off.

For short messages, a very small or zero CRC remains best,
because of the significant inner code overhead.
Interesting.
Yes that sounds good. For short messages, the symbol length is usually smaller anyway, so a few bits more do not change the duration of the transmission. On the other side, many CRC bits in short messages (2 chars) make a very significant part of the whole transmission. I just saw that on my last announcement, decreased CRC from 32 to 2 and increasing the symbol length from 40 to 60 still results in a shorter duration!!

This also means I have to revise my policy for calculating an
optimum list length.  Later I'll update the signal calculator
web page.
Will see if i can see a difference then...

73, Stefan

--
Paul Nicholson