Re: 3 phase (was LF: G3KEV)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: 3 phase (was LF: G3KEV)
From: John Rabson <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 11:01:47 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=from:content-type:message-id:mime-version:subject:date:references :to:in-reply-to; bh=IHrPq5OgRVuNwZpZhQdWmsPqnZ3gprfgRZJYdheKJB8=; b=NfxfZuIw2+aaCAsCb/BMV8dQiN0Ip4NESMF2iGsl1PVG2Dg8ZP2tBDkAAFtbAtAaBG SrnA1FRyNuuOn2PdyN6dbxDlBFkwC+m8BoWIts7TteTV39JrqmWEGM65O648IMT9YRVv 1sYRV+TdeCJDnR7cYRqDEOs873G2kgBtf8zCdsHakKe2FQrRs67Mrl9bwIQhgZVqJy5J of4kLJHIrlgH86ECDfB4nkvmSiUPzRjOjBXbegHYK2NdzPf+XGppMtTmvq/bESWpB6Ui LuNhLpUi5fzeoUQm3IVxYu+ONBZHbwIVhG0ESCFR03OYqK0aPa/ZOyuCF7zmWWGOnNgS NCyA==
Sender: [email protected]
This sounds like the sort of thing that the electricity company got up to in the Suffolk village where I lived for years. There were three feeds to the village:

  • one from the north which fed half the main street
  • one from the south which fed the other half
  • one from the east which fed a side road. This was derived from what was known as a “farmer’s line”, being a single phase transformer connected to 2 phases of the local three phase higher voltage system, with a 480 V centre tapped secondary

In the middle of the village was a distribution pole with a prominent notice “Warning! These LV systems will NOT parallel”. I asked one of my colleagues what this meant and was told that the phasing of the farmer’s line was such that it was not possible to get a 0° phase difference between it and the other supplies.

Before the higher voltage line plant was upgraded, it was common in the middle of a cold winter night for one third of the village to be off supply (but not predictably which third).

I notice DK7FC says that domestic three-phase supplies are common in Germany. In both England and France the authorities do not like such arrangements and do their best to phase them out. The supply to our property was probably three-phase at some stage because the official fuse unit has had a notice stuck on it emphasising that this installation is now single phase.

John F5VLF