Re: LF: USB Sound Card?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: USB Sound Card?
From: Tobias DG3LV <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2014 00:27:23 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Jim, Gary !

Experiences with Software Defined Radios ("Softrock" type) over years showed me the highs and lows of using a soundcard as an A/D-converter for HamRadio use. The situation improved from using the onboard-devices to professional external Firewire- or USB-2.0 soundcards as they became available at reasonable prices.

to A) it's true, the windows type drivers support up to 16 Bit only. There are some issues to sampling rate stability under windows, too. That's why SDR-programs like Winrad, HDSDR etc. use the alternative "ASIO" driver model, where 24 Bits are supported natively and where the latency is smallest. ASIO drivers typically are bundled with (professional) soundcards for studio-recording. I had the usual "EMU-0202-USB" card, which was sampling at 192kHz/24 Bit. As this is available no longer, today I use an "Icon Cube" and "Icon Cube pro" (2/4 Channel,192kHz,24Bit,USB-2.0) for my softrock SDR. They are not too expensive and do a good job!

to B) Windows has different properties for the hardware sampling rate and the offered (simulated) sampling rate. If these are not identical, there is a software up/down-resampling done by windows. You have to set the correct sampling rate at the hardware-settings (!) of the chosen soundcard input/output. (sometimes Win7 resets this to 44.1 kHz/16Bit at another booting, so you have to check this first after booting up the PC.) e.g. Even if the soundcard is just sampling at 48kHz, the windows drivers offer 96 and 192 kHz as well, but actual audio-data is still not more than 48kHz, the rest of the spectrum is filled with "blanks".

to C) Typically the anti-aliasing filters of a soundcard are bound to the current (hardware-) sampling rate (=Nyquist) and not be static. Those filters are digital ones and part of the A/D converter chips. But the datasheets of soundcards shows the filters of the 44.1/48 kHz sampling rate only (0-20 kHz), as this is the standard where the "dB-"measurements are done.

73 kHz Rx :
In Europe you can receive the DCF77 signals (77.5 kHz) very well by a length of wire (or better a PA0RDT) and directly attaching it to an input of a 192 kHz soundcard. (Here 55dB above noise at 600km distance, software time-decoding by "SoDiRa" SDR-software). It is the same setup as used for SAQ-listening at 17.2 kHz (using HDSDR).

For decoding digimodes (WSPR,JT65,WSQ...) a simple USB-micro-soundcard ($5) or onboard is ok, the programs just use "mono" and 48kHz at most, even the cheapest (for headset use) do well.

73 de dg3lv Tobias