RE: LF: USB Sound Card?

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: USB Sound Card?
From: <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 16:12:24 -0400
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=comcast.net; s=q20140121; t=1408133598; bh=aP/s6Uol/lEWneQnqkjd2EV2BhWpmP7L9KKt+bowKck=; h=Received:Received:From:To:Subject:Date:Message-ID:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=R8bVAcfzzGYGzUC729dVho6qZ+3XFxA2rzkyLdkwyATgz3an9MBNBLbkskXRFBO0A W5pwPbwmqpQxTLzVatqOFLau8caYOHLu5dJnzRUrXFUriy94bA5ZVifOmlfbhY0iod 76sSosPIE4eDNjk3qq1I5ghL+oglO/v6gVBLi3mfgFClaqJZn94sqgxnBk+8B+wEiT cusB2XXjVAOdesaM40RFxG1xqO+/Akui4cKWdNdWaxUvoA0xFdZFI43sGjfDcRoW8I Ce3HtjmARWmGuwfgfhpHe7aejXISMmiRK4aYbRBjYVYmFlKjR87oZqYbqTp44j9PXX Toty4xu3eaC5w==
Sender: [email protected]

Gary,

I use a number of expensive and inexpensive external (USB) audio interfaces, and I like them all (good sensitivity, good dynamic range); but I experience the following limitations:

A)

I have not been able to persuade Windows and/or Speclab to process 24 bits (I have been successful in applying 24-bit settings in Windows>ControlPanel>Sound  and Speclab, but have not acquired valid data after doing so; and accordingly have always used 16-bit settings with 24-bit external audio interfaces, even though I need at least 24 bits for dynamic range considering VLF and LF environmental noise in some of my locations)

B)

Similarly to the above, I have been able to set up Windows and Speclab for 192kHz sample rates, but have not been able to view past 48kHz without aliasing (and accordingly I settle for 96kHz settings and interfaces in most cases)

C)

All of my external audio interfaces have steep low-pass filters at or near 22kHz pole frequency, so SNR is compromised for signals at 20kHz and above. I’ve disassembled some of these interfaces in attempts to modify the low-pass filter cutoff frequencies, but without a schematic could not be certain regarding changes.

Have you seen any of the above issues with internal or external audio interfaces that you have used?

73,  Jim AA5BW