Re: LF: An "LF-reflector" Yahoo group instead .....PLEASE

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: An "LF-reflector" Yahoo group instead .....PLEASE
From: Steve Dove <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2012 15:17:04 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Greetings,

The constituency, expertise and variety on this group is magnificent and we mess with this at our peril.

The benefits of a Yahoo group over the venerable Blacksheep are plain. That's _A_ Yahoo group. Everybody's perfectly capable of weeding out things which are irrelevant to them; we don't need anything other than a more modern vehicle.

It's likely wisest that the group move en-masse, altogether, at once, to A newly established group steadfastly resisting the siren call of "Ooh! A group for This! A group for That!". Leave nothing here but a daily "we've moved..." notice for a while, even disabling the reflector itself.

Generally I cringe whenever "Yay! A New Group!" comes up anywhere - it's usually ego-driven and achieves little other than worthwhile content being splintered, orphaned and ultimately lost. The biggest and saddest effect, though, is on the critical mass and flavour of the original group. What gives me hope here is that no-one seems to be fighting for 'control' ("Come to MY group!") and that those most upset by the idea are missing the point or fear non-existent bogeymen.

Have at it!

        73

                Steve       W3EEE