Re: LF: info about better digital mode in 2200m band

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: info about better digital mode in 2200m band
From: Stefan Schäfer <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 22:20:37 +0200
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mauro,

Am 26.04.2012 18:27, schrieb IK1WVQ Mauro:
Now in the 136.170 segment i receive ONLY DK7FC , with good signals but with deep QSB ..
Now in the 137.700 segment NO ONE received station ...

Well, in the last weeks there was not really much activity. When you look to other grabbers there is only my signal too although many stations could be received...

BUT i am quite sure that i saw DF6NM, G3KEV and G3XDV on your grabber some weeks back. Also i bet you will se IK1HSS and I5ZPO. I5ZPO should be audible. Have you ever tried to have a sked?

I think my problem is the noisy urban environment, the 137.700 is more noisy than 136.170 ..

probably the PA0RDT makes intermodulation (a mistake was surely made: in order to increase sensitivity I place a 60 cm "whip" wire other than the PCB antenna), or my cable keeps noise (thanks Mike for this info)..
As Mike suggested, it is worth to concentrate on the EMC stuff, i.e. using a separate LF earth far away from thge house, using a common mode choke, lifting the antenna as high as possible... you know...

A loop can be better but you have to live in a quiet location. My grabber is operated in a urban environment as well and a loop performed even worse... What i also can recommend is a wideband receiver, like http://icas.to/lineup/idc-136-kit-eng.htm produced by JA8SCD This kit is running at TF3HZ and performs very fine as we can see each day. Such a wideband RX allows a very good overview over several kHz (e.g. 130....154 kHz), so you can see if it is a broad band noise or DCF sidebands and so on.

73, Stefan/DK7FC