LF: RE: info about better digital mode in 2200m band

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: RE: info about better digital mode in 2200m band
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:52:25 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-US
Sender: [email protected]
Mauro,

the most popular mode (most stations active) is QRSS, Opera coming second.
WSPR used to be very popular on 500kHz but recently it is very quiet.

If you go for best SNR it depends on the time a message takes.
WSPR is fixed to 2 minutes and in my opinion is unbeaten in that timeframe. In
a test I did (see http://on7yd.strobbe.eu/QRSS/) WSPR outperforms QRSS3 by
about 5dB and Opera2 by about 7dB.
QRSS10 and Opera8 should perform more or less equal to WSPR. If you go beyond
that (QRSS30 or Opera15 or even "slower") WSPR is outperformed.

The new kid on the block is Lentus that comes with MultiPSK
(http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm). I haven't tested it (yet), but is
looks promising.
And then you have an almost forgotten mode: WOLF
(http://www.scgroup.com/ham/wolf.html). This mode has the big advantage that it
accumulates the incoming data.

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T