Re: LF: info about better digital mode in 2200m band

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: info about better digital mode in 2200m band
From: "Graham" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 13:49:32 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Just one or two  thing's to  check

The S/N readings produced by Opera are referenced to the SIM - PATH software , so s/n levels shown are calibrated to a different standard

The original system was calibrated to be similar to fldigi / wspr , but after a series of tests by members of the yahoo digital group, Jose , felt these levels where not realistic and re calibrated , giving a lesser reading. Im not sure as what Patrick has referenced his modes to, but if lentus system is similar to jt65 etc , then you will need to add a conversion factor.

As a yard  stick  ,  OP2 @  -26dB  S/N   is  similar to  WSPR,

Also note the Op s/n levels are all indicated as Average , over the time line , so if you only decode 50% of the transmission (sufficient for decode) then the s/n level will show as -3dB compared to 100% decode

The Opera system has also a QSO mode using the same coding system, but is set to 120 second TX period for 15 characters
and  operates  round  the  -20 dB s/n  level

Set Op to 500 Khz for access to the qso mode if wanting to try, but you do need -20 dB s/n for decode,

ROS-MF7&2 mode is available ,multi tone, 99Hz b/w at 2 baud , this operates at the same S/N of WSPR , but needs AUDIO/SDR Tx facility. however it is a live rtty mode with no 'time frame' or 'time locking' MF-7 is 6 / 7 dB less, but has a chr rate similar to psk31....

73 -G..

The OP system is still under development , so if users have any requirements etc , pls write in<<<