LF: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Wellbrook Loop

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Wellbrook Loop
From: "mal hamilton" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 16:40:00 -0000
Sender: [email protected]
Terry
That wire looks ok. I use ex decca about 3mm diam but I only need about 0.5
mH of inductance for loading my inv L system.
For a coil former I use a small laundry type bucket size container which has
a lot of air space slots about 50% air/solid so is efficient.
Litz is not really necessary. I have used 2.5 mm plastic covered elec wire
preferably the fine multi strand type, or the 7 strand type. It is not that
critical and Litz is probably only marginal better if you do not need too
much inductance.
If it helps, and keep it simple and efficient. I connect the drop wires (3
at present) from the inv L system to the top of Main Inductor as above and
the bottom of winding to another small inductor about 6 ins diam in series,
this inductor is tapped all the way for matching.
Move wire from bottom of main inductor to a tap point down the 6 inch coil
for best SWR( Resonance)  then connect the coax centre wire from the shack
up several turns from the bottom (earth end which is earthed or connected to
some radial system)  to achieve a 1:1 SWR, braid of coax is connected to
bottom of coil/earth/radials etc
This has always worked FB for me and appears to be efficient and simple. My
earth consists of several insulated radials lying on top of ground and
running across a field. One copper earth spike is incuded at base of antenna
connected to radials and base of tower for lightening protection
Other methods used for resonating antennas are variometers and link windings
at cold end of loading coil for RF transfer.
I stick to 50 ohms for the whole system, this makes it easy for testing and
maintainence with existing shack test gear
I hope this helps and hope to work you on CW soon on LF and MF
De mal/g3kev