Re: LF: Re: Loop TX antennas at VLF?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Loop TX antennas at VLF?
From: Markus Vester <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 07:14:22 -0400
Sender: [email protected]
Mal,

in our context, magnetic stimulation should not be a real problem. Around 9 kHz, ICNIRP guidelines (which do include a large safety margin) allow 24.4 A/m for occupational exposure and 5 A/m for the general public. A loop wire carrying 100 amps generates a very moderate 8 A/m at 1 m radial distance. On the other hand, 0.35 amps into my loading coil generates about 4 A/m at 1 m from the axis.

Actual stimulation thresholds are typically two to three orders of magnitude higher. Using ear plugs, I inserted my head into the opening at the cold (!) end of the coil for a few seconds. The magnetic field (approximately 1000 A/m) produced no perceivable effect.

Best regards,
Markus (DF6NM)