RE: LF: Wasilla Alaska VLF - offline

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: LF: Wasilla Alaska VLF - offline
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 05:24:54 -0800
Sender: [email protected]
Stefan, Markus and all = thanks - Ill do a 60000 window and cut out the 2nd fft's and Im sure that will help. Never thought about the second window loading till it hits you in the face..the 100% CPU dial is a sure sign of Im doing it wrong :-)

Ive tried all sorts of probes and omnis but dissapointed overall in the results s/n wise - . So it was a fortunate I can get the loop out far enough and in a position where I can maximize Eu and still null a lot of the rubbish. Ill do some more playing in the Spring..

The housing there in open frame ranch style which affords zero attenuation compared with brick/rebar style contruction giving "some" Faraday cage affects, so Im onto a loser there..

If I was resident in Alaska I would do remote power and link, but even that give the weather and wildlife is problematic during the window of opportunity.

 The link to Scott looks interesting but as he and I have found out the path, even over water and comparatively "short" can be very very cranky at LF, and his view of VLF and the stations he can receive is very very different from mine.  Got to just love these Geomag events and heavy Proton events. If I see any Proton event showing up I tend to close the radio room door, put on my skiis and go for a long long walk....

Laurence KL 1X  KL7 UK