LF: Phase and FFT's

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Phase and FFT's
From: Laurence KL7UK <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 06:03:28 -0800
Sender: [email protected]

I think what I find fascinating is the absolute variations from day to day on th Alaska to Eu path, and how each VLF signal has its own independant phase and amp signature variation over a 24 hour period - and wondering why for instance DH038 can have (does have) one of the largest dawn/dusk deltas compared with similar bearing(d) Eu VLF signals - I just dont see as much from reasonably co-located transmitters.

I too dont get the  same for non-Auroral zone paths, though Im sure Im getting signals coming in skewed at times, and "noisy" rapid phase variations too which are obvious on the faster FFT's/snappers akin to Markus's Loran plots - perhaps net affects from the Alaskan range, Rockies or Andes and not just the Electrons/Protons or short term variations in heating.

Im sure the maths is there and probably something to do with the two-crossings of the Auroral oval, the small but inclusive depointing of the loop, but wondering or mulling if DHo38 and similar are launching into the "waveguide" differently or there is some V/H directional component bespoke to each VLF transmission maybe caused by ground conditions within a few lambda...

Must be a Friday.

Laurence KL7UK remote ops from  Oklahoma

ps still dont have control of the VLF rx up in Alaska but hoping it will be restored today..

=