Re: LF: Loop TX antennas at VLF?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Loop TX antennas at VLF?
From: wolf_dl4yhf <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 23:27:10 +0100
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Scott,

you wrote:
>The practicality of a loop would depend on its size and the tuner design. Stable caps would be needed and these caps would be very expensive which resulted in my thoughts drifting to the concept of a gyrator. Essentially an inductor used to simulate a cap with suitable active components... Google 'gyrator'.
<

Ummm.. active components indeed .. I only know Gyrators in very old narrow-band VLF receiver designs, only low signal handling capabilities. Wouldn't these 'active components' be essentially a power amplifier capable of driving highy reactive loads ?
If we had such an output driver, we wouldn't need a tuner... more or less.

Or am I missing something ?

Cheers,
   Wolf  .