LF: Re: VLF 9 kcs: preamp and antenna noise

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: VLF 9 kcs: preamp and antenna noise
From: "Markus Vester" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 09:38:47 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
Clemens,

I believe what Jim was suggesting is a comparison of preamp noise output with the antenna connected versus a passive load, rather than between different passive load impedances. The intention is to demonstrate that the receiver noise contribution is neglegible against external noise, which is on the order of +140 dB kTo minus antenna losses. Thus a very good preamp noise figure is beneficial only with very short nonresonant antennas, or tiny loops.

The challenge for a VLF frontend would mainly lie in decoupling the antenna as much as possible from local interference sources. One difficulty is that meaningful comparisons can only be done at times of low external noise. Currently there seems to a short window with low QRN during most mornings, but this is probably the worst season of the year.

Best 73,
Markus (DF6NM)

Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 8:48 AM
Subject: LF: Re: Re: 9 kcs

Jim,

>Since the RX or preamp noise level can be
> strongly dependent on the source impedance,

I can not confirm this with my RX,a Perseus SDR.
When I switch on 9kHz or any other qrg between 50 Ohm, open and short,
I always get the same reading within a tenth of dB,e.g -118,4dBm RMS at a BW of
732Hz (arbitrarily chosen)
The reading also stays constant between the three sourcees
when I do the same test with preamp ot attenuator on.
Maybe your observation is true for RX/preamp inputs with
considerable reactance in the input impedance.

73
Clemens
DL4RAJ