LF: Re: 9 kcs

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: 9 kcs
From: "Mike.WE0H" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 03:33:29 -0500
Sender: [email protected]

Hi Mal,

Why not see if you can be the first to cross the pond to the USA on 8.97kc? You can put up large antennas and run big power. There will be stations in the eastern USA that have real receive capabilities on the VLF band. many guys over here can hear SAQ and other EU VLF stations already.

It might be a long shot, but if you do get a signal across the pond, imagine the feeling you will get from that? Damn cool.

The VLF band is in it's very early experimental stages today. With the great interest now, we may see regular two way communications down there in the future. Look at the LF & MF bands today. Everyone started out with tiny signals and dreams. Now we can work across the pond on both bands. The VLF band could be the next dream come true.

Build the VLF station. Show others that it can be done. Others will follow along and build their own VLF stations. Share all the technical details so others can use that to develop their station successfully. Don't be discouraged if other guys don't build huge high powered stations. Not everyone has the time, money & land to do so. There will always be QRO & QRP stations. Enjoy working both types. The QRP stations will be the challenge for your receive capabilities. hi hi... There is getting to be a lot of interest in the VLF band over here. Maybe some day we can work across the pond to you guys? Baby steps first...

Mike
WE0H

Mal wrote:
Jim
Reception of Alpha signals around 12 kcs are definitely a good guide only 3
kcs away from the frequency of interest 9 kcs, and I agree about the basic
test of DL antenna and real antenna but information from others is scarce. I
am inclined to think few are capable of receiving radio amateur signals
around 9 kcs and especially if the transmitted signals are flea power like
500 kcs.
Noise floor figures and signal over noise would be useful and its not true
to say everyone can copy the Alpha signals and if so what is the signal
above noise like.
Before I start engineering a 9 kcs station I would like to think someone
could copy my signals otherwise its a waste of time and effort.