LF: Re: VLF

To: <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Re: VLF
From: "Dave Brown" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:25:39 +1300
Sender: [email protected]

Also been considering the ground loop option but for 136kHz- I can't recall any reference to this being tried anywhere by the amateur fraternity. If it has been tried, what were the results?

Another option for VLF might be along the lines of this--
ELF, VLF and LF radiation from a very large loop antenna with a mountain core
Barr, R.; Ireland, W.; Smith, M. J.
IEE Proceedings, Part H - Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation (ISSN 0950-107X), vol. 140, no. 2, p. 129-134. The establishment of an LF/VLF/ELF transmitting facility at the Homer tunnel near Milford South in the South Island of New Zealand is described. The antenna consisted of a 3.3 km-long PVC-covered aluminum conductor passing through the tunnel and over the mountain above, forming a large vertical loop antenna. Measurements of the electric field radiated from the transmitter, recorded at both Lauder and Palmerston, 133 and 225 km from the transmitter site, respectively, are presented. The antenna radiation pattern derived from observations made onboard an Orion aircraft circling the antenna at a distance of 200 km is also presented. Theoretical models are derived which enable fits to the radiated field data to be made over a wide frequency range (0.5-40 kHz). With 1 kW of input power the antenna produced peak radiated fields at frequencies near 10 kHz equivalent to those of a vertical monopole source radiating 150 mW.

Finding a convenient hill and tunnel might be a challenge though!

73
Dave, ZL3FJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Talbot" <[email protected]>