Re: LF: VLF

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VLF
From: Roger Lapthorn <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 21:57:35 +0000
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=oqBch80QVFyFJ4xL5xDJi/CV3opvdMvBh96ipASpknY=; b=XefIXiRUZ5jCJCbgMBCeoBUYT/y4UPk36ZzfTcIEFSwuz7UXZDGoluW0o2CxZSmamH sNinQ+ptkM1VtQ4uY0i3PMswiAuUOrmbCdZk/wm5U9USm0z3x8mWqsPLT6JAndnB7oqN b4PAfsfrEoVFHTOFpaU+Snty3fkNshdA+KcwE=
Sender: [email protected]
Andy et al,

I tried this when I last experimented with "earth mode" conduction at 1kHz some 20 years ago. I used the central heating ground and a meat skewer at the far end some 10m away from the house. I was able to copy the keyed signal by ear some 300m away with minimal filtering on a second grounded electrode pair of meat skewers! I made no attempt to elevate the loop at either end. I could adjust the resistive match from 20 ohms to 150 ohms at the TX end but cannot remember the settings I used. I made no attempt to tune out any reactive part. The signal was also copied some 200m away in the middle of a field well away from wires,pipes and cables with a 5m base line and meat skewer grounds. Power was around 4W out from a small TDA2002 audio chip. This leads me to think that much further would be possible by "earth mode" with more power, larger base line spacing, elevated wire and QRSS.

All good fun.

73s
Roger G3XBM