Re: LF: Ionospheric VLF propagation

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Ionospheric VLF propagation
From: Paul Nicholson <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:25:38 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

I wrote:
>  James R Wait
> 'A study of VLF field strength data both old and new'
> Pure and applied physics, vol 41 sept 1958 pp73-85

Sorry, that should have been Pure and applied geophysics,
(volume price $110, single articles a mere $34!  I can
get copies through the British Library but it takes
weeks).

Piotr wrote:
> I will also try to program these formulae

It's a challenge - those Legendre functions with complex
parameters...  there's an expression involving hypergeometric
functions and some code for that in 'Numerical Recipes in C',
either that or (very!) carefully transcribe/port the code in
the paper's appendix.

I think I will stay with the simple formula - too many other
things to do!

Thank you for the additional references Piotr.  I miss the
days when I had access to a university library, and the Internet
is useless here.

PS, I have a large backlog of email - apologies to those I
haven't responded to yet...
--
Paul Nicholson