Re: LF: Re: 500kHz and ADSL

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: 500kHz and ADSL
From: Paul-Henrik <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:54:23 +0200
Sender: [email protected]
LF

Quoting James Moritz <[email protected]>:

> On receive, it is something of a problem on 500kHz - positioning a loop
> antenna within about 10m of the phone wire and modem reveals a high level of
> white noise-like QRM. Unplugging the modem makes this dissapear. winding the
> incoming phone wire onto a ferrite core to produce a common-mode choke
> yields about 10dB noise reduction.

I thought I should comment on this since I have fought the same battle with a
very similar experience. I also made a few additional changes that clearly made
a difference as well:

1. Common mode choke at the ADSL modem phone line inlet
2. Common mode choke at the power inlet of the ADSL modem
3. Changed the old 15 metre untwisted, 5-wire in-house telephone cable to CAT5
(any twisted pair type would probably work)

All of the above yielded a noticeable improvement. Improvements were made in the
listed order. Choking off the outgoing ethernet CAT5 from the ADSL modem did not
provide any noticeable improvement.

The ADSL modem/router in my case is a Cisco 837.

BR

Paul-Henrik / OH1LSQ