LF: Electrostatic Loop Antenna Query...

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Electrostatic Loop Antenna Query...
From: Scott Tilley <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 05:57:51 +0000
Sender: [email protected]

Gentlemen (and Mal)

I've been busy renovating my home and my LF RX antenna farm. During the work, I recently discovered the source of a very annoying noise source after months of detective work(ie. cursing every time I needed to adjust my phasing canceler). The noise seems to be coming down my power line that feeds my house. After some poking around the power grid there is only one other house connected to the transformer we get power from and my DF work seems to indicated the the noise 'orientates' form the pole with the xfmr near the neighbours house hidden in the woods. My theory is that my neighbour has some sort of electrical gismo that runs 24/7 that creates this noise and it has a pipeline to my house via the neutral supported cable. During my renos I went mobile with my 1m diameter electrostatic loop as it needed to come down to make way for things that make the XYL happy. I found after considerable walking there was a magic distance away from the evil pole that the noise simple stopped no matter what direction I pointed the loop. Unfortunately, this is not the case for other types of antennas such a my mini-whip, unshielded multi turn loop, and large single turn loop. My theory is that the induction field of the noise finally gets weak enough that the electrostatic loop wins out... I'm sure someone will set me straight on why soon...

Anyway, the discovery of the electrostatic loops immunity to this noise at the magic distance where the real estate it is planted on is still mine has me wondering this:

If I increase the diameter of the loop from say 1m to 2.5m will I see an increase in SNR?

My gut feeling has me saying that this may seem like commonsense that it would be true but something about the theory of how the electrostatic loop works has me thinking otherwise...

Concurrently, I'm planning a diplomatic mission to the neigbour's with a box of ferrite, 1m loop and a bottle of Scotch...

73 es tu
Scott
VE7TIL

PS- I'm still seeing DCF39 daily on the 1m loop! I hope to have the grabber and DCF39 logger back on the net by April 1st.